Annual Foundation Dinner
Board of Trustees
�Annual Foundation Dinner & Fund the Need
A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES
Friday, March 27, 2020,
Arizona Country Club, 6PM
Dinner Chair: Brent Nichols
Cost: Individual ticket - $125 | Table of ten - $1250 | Premium table of ten - $1500
The Foundation is an annual fundraiser designed to support a specific church or missional need. The event has raised and distributed over $300,000 towards mission and campus improvement costs that directly support our congregation and community programs like Family Promise of Greater Phoenix and Boy Scout Troop 441.
Proceeds from this year's event will provide improvements to our core classrooms that support Valley Day School, Children's Ministry, Student Ministry, as well as our adult education. This includes upgraded video and teaching equipment, up-to-date security systems and a general refresh for some of the well-worn educational rooms.
Our theme this year is A Night At The Movies, you are invited to dress up in your Hollywood duds or as a character from one of your favorite movies.
This year for the convenience of our guest, we've employed GiveSmart, a site designed to put payment and bidding in the palm of your hand. View and bid on items weeks before and even during the event!
Fund the Need (FTN) became a popular feature of the Annual Legacy Dinner in 2015. It gave dinner guest the opportunity to directly support a capital need of the church and observe first hand the results of their gifts within a year. Overall, FTN has raised over $200,000 as of 2018 to give to VPC for improvements and upgrades. Highlights are:
- 2019 - Raised $50,000 to cover the cost of A/C units throughout VPC Campus, providing cool rooms to worship and praise.
- 2018 - Raised and donated $57,000 to Family Promise of Greater Phoenix.
- 2017 - Raised $40,000 for the removal and replacement of major kitchen appliances in Landes Center.
- 2016 - Raised $70,000 for the new landscape design and installation on the eastside of the Chapel, purchased a new monument sign at McDonald entrance, and remodeled the men and women's restroom on the north side of the Sanctuary.
- 2015 - Raised $70,000 for Kilgore Chapel roof repair, purchased new chairs for Landes Center, and funded significant campus water pipeline replacement.
�Valley Presbyterian Foundation Board of Trustees
It is an honor to serve as President of the Valley Presbyterian Foundation for 2019. As a member of VPC, I have come to appreciate the role of the Foundation in assuring the financial security of our church.
Forty-one years ago several wise members of our church community thought it appropriate to establish the Foundation and today it is a reliable resource for our church to sustain its capital needs, music program and mission ministries.
Foundation-funded improvements have included maintaining the Memorial Garden, re-configuring the Fireside Room and the Crossing, repairing the roofs and air conditioning units, refurbishing restrooms, and landscapes throughout our 10-acre campus. The Foundation endows a variety of programs and activities aimed at enriching our congregation’s faith walk with the Lord. Examples of these include the our free concert choir shows, student and mission trip scholarships, and Stephen Ministry and Deacon Ministry support. With great appreciation for faithful service, the Foundation manages the retirement distributions for former Senior Pastors Tom Erickson and Woody Garvin. The Foundation consists of 12 trustees who serve staggered three-year terms. With trust funds of 4.6 million dollars, we utilize a professional investment management arrangement that includes two outside investment advisory firms as well as an investment committee of advisors from within our church membership. Additionally, two staff members, Kris Bahr and Charlee Turner, assist the Foundation throughout the year.
I encourage you to learn more about the Valley Presbyterian Foundation, the Legacy Society, and our Annual Foundation Dinner. You can reach out to me, any of the trustees, or members of VPC’s staff. For information on how you can participate, email the Foundation Office or call 480-991-6424 ext. 168. You can also reach out to Development Director Sam Kelsall at 602-234-1999.
I look forward to serving you and the entire VPC congregation,
Valley Presbyterian Foundation
|Class of 2020
Beth Allen, Treasurer
Class of 2021
Brent Nichols, Vice President
Ron Norris, Secretary
Lamont Yoder, President
Class of 2021
All this and more is possible through the loving legacies of Valley Presbyterian Foundation. If you are ready to leave a legacy or you’d like to learn more about giving to the Valley Presbyterian Foundation:
- or call the Foundation office at 480-991-6424, ext. 168
- Contact Sam Kelsall, Development Director, 602-234-1999
- Talk to any Foundation Trustee
�� FEATURED FOUNDATION FUNDS
It is an ancient custom to have a burial ground near a Church. It is sometimes referred to as 'God's Acre' and considered sacred ground.
- The Memorial Garden was dedicated November 27, 1977. Reverend L. Wilson Kilgore conducted the dedication.
- Memorial Garden – providing a serene setting for those grieving the loss of a loved one.
- Music Endowment – enhances VPC’s music program
- Annis Organ Fund – provides for restoration and maintenance of the sanctuary organ
- Music & Arts Ministry – providing unique performance opportunities for children and adults.
- Piano Music Lab – featuring nine state-of-the art synthesizers.
�Valley Presbyterian Church Legacy Society
The Legacy Society helps provide a long-term foundation for VPC. Members of the Legacy Society desire to continue God's work past their lifetimes to growing as a Church and to spread God's love to our congregational and community members for years to come. There are no start-up or annual fees. Simply name the Foundation in your estate plan or will.
A will is the cornerstone of a well-organized estate plan, but it can also proclaim your Christian faith, demonstrating your faithful stewardship to future generations. The Valley Legacy Society is composed of members who have designated the Foundation in their wills or trusts. If you're ready to become a member of the Valley Legacy Society, simply print the form below and return it to our Foundation office. A Trustee will contact you soon!
Annual Foundation Appreciation Luncheon
Monday, October 15, Noon-1:30PM, Landes
Thank you to all of our Legacy Society members for investing in the future of our shared faith!
“As a VPF Legacy Society member, I have a sense of spiritual comfort and satisfaction knowing that my future contribution to the Foundation will be used to underwrite creative programs and projects that could not otherwise be funded by the VPC operating budget. Through my gift, one day, my legacy will live on to grow and enhance our Church’s missions through the ministry of the Foundation’s endowment.” - Joan Nastro, Legacy Society Member
Student Scholarships & Applications
Students please remember, the deadline for this next year's scholarship applications is May 2020.
Valley Presbyterian Foundation is proud to assist our college students in their educational endeavors as they prepare for productive and faithful lives as God's children. Our scholars have served their church and community by displaying their faith and using their God-given talents. Our goal is to offer a greater financial help in the future for students requesting help in furthering their studies to attain their career goals.
- Erickson Scholarship Application and Guidelines- supplements financial assistance for college and seminary students.
- Simmons Scholarship Application and Guidelines- provides financial assistance to graduating seniors for purchase of books.
- Doris Horak Scholarship – provides scholarships for camps, retreats, and other opportunities